On May 4, Dave’s House hosted a Housewarming Party, celebrating the addition of its eighth single family residence and the launch of its Dave’s Housing First apartments program.
The new home’s three female residents will receive ongoing managed mental health care provided through Aspire Health Partners, ensuring a stable foundation of permanent supportive housing.
Program benefactors, service providers, municipal partners, community leaders and supporters celebrated the new Dave’s House home at the event hosted at Quantum Leap Winery.
“We are so thankful to our community partners who are supporting our efforts in ending homelessness for community residents who suffer from severe mental illness,” said Lin Wilensky, co-founder. “Their support allows us to locate and fund homes that meet our high standards, perform major repairs and renovations, furnish them, and provide the bridge, rainy day and emergency funding to meet the needs of each individual.”
Aspire Health Partners’ Case Manager Wanda Armstrong makes a home visit to the residents every week. The three new females residents are experiencing the stability and security of their new home. One attends the Aspire Recovery Program daily to participate in skills training and therapy; another is a beautician; and the third is furthering her education at UCF.
To date, Dave’s House has developed $3.2 million in housing and neighborhood improvement with its operating partners. It has opened, on average, one new home per year; in 2016, the non-profit projects to open three more single family homes and 12 apartment homes. One of the single family homes will be for veterans.
Helping people establish a stable foundation is very personal – so we wanted to thank our benefactors in a very personal way. Resident Scott M. kindly allowed us to reproduce and frame the visual of one of his art pieces, Over the Rainbow. In it, the rainbow represents hope and optimism and the sun represents the empowerment of all of the Dave’s House residents. Thank you to:
- Orange County Mayor Teresa Jacobs, Orange County Commissioner Ted Edwards and all the Board of Commissioners
- Broad and Cassell | Matt Palma
- Lapoint Realty Team | Jenn & Kris
- Pathway Homes | Sharon Niven
- Homeless Services Network | Martha Are
- Central Florida Commission on Homelessness
- Dennis and Debbie Snow
- Health Central | Greg Ohe & Brenda LaBattaglia
- Hilton Grand Vacation | John Stark, Gwendolyn Miller & Shaina Ziggler
- Central Florida Women’s League | Michele Greene, Pam Lively & Nancy Asche
- Clear Channel Outdoor
- Fox TV
- West Orange Times & Observer | Dawn Willis
- Wells Fargo | Joyce Odongo & John Moskos
Our special thanks go to
- Fit N Fresh owner Brooklyn Goad, who donated the catering as well as a door prize food basket
- Jenn Marion and the entire Quantum Leap Winery team, who were wonderful hosts and also donated a door prize wine basket
- Greg Gromack from Deluge Production for providing the event’s audio-visual services
- DaVonda Simmons, who entertained the group with her beautiful singing
Thanks to everyone for helping us celebrate our eighth Dave’s House home!
for our Housewarming Kit List, which are items we always need for our residents.